Life at school has been a whirlwind. October was filled with preparations for our accreditation visit and then the actual visit (now we have to wait until February for the official word on the outcome of the visit). After the team left, the following week we enjoyed 2 days off school due to the Argentine Census. We had to wait in our house for a whole day until someone came to ask us questions or collect our already prepared paperwork. We waited all day and no one came, so we were never counted that we are aware of. The next day was given to use by the education board in Argentina because so many teachers across the country volunteered with the census. During census day, we received news that the former president (and husband of the current president) had died suddenly. I believe it was due to on going heart problems. The country was in mourning for 3 days following his death.
Directly following the 2 days off, was my birthday. The girls helped me celebrate my 24 years beautifully. They made our traditional house "birthday breakfast" and then in the evening we invited friends from school over to help us celebrate with burgers on our built-in charcoal grill, called a Parilla (par-ee-jah). It was also the birthday of 2 co-workers, so we all partied together. =)
The day after my birthday was the Spring Fling at school, a type of Fall Festival, only in the spring, as a Halloween substitute. I was the organizer of this event and we had games, candy, face painting, an inflatable bouncy thing and candy. It was a successful and very enjoyable night for all that attended. I was grateful for all the helpers I had from high school students working for community service hours to teachers and staff who came to support the event. Way to go all! It was a lot of fun.
Now we are settling into November. The air is getting hotter, and the kids are getting antsier, but life is going well in the classroom. There are 4 new children at the children's home since I've last written. None of them are related, 2 babies, an 11 year old boy and 12 year old girl. We are working on organizing practical ways to help the home more than just visits every other week. Donna and I are excited about what we are hoping to do.
Some of my roommates and I are planning a trip to Iguazu Falls for Thanksgiving, I'm getting excited about that, and then before you know it, I'll be back in the States visiting for the Winter Holidays. Time is flying so quickly. I'm looking forward to seeing some of you when I am home. Thank you for your continued support and prayers!
chau!
kait
No comments:
Post a Comment