Chiloé is a beautiful island in southern Chile. I was blessed with the opportunity to go visit some friends, Bekii and Travis in Chiloé at the close of Christmas vacation, just before jumping back into the swing of school again. The six days I spent with Bekii and Travis were some of the most relaxing days I have had in a while, I think it has something to do with the ocean. The view out their front window overlooks the water and on a clear day, one can see the Andes on the mainland in the distance.
It wasn't very clear most of the time I was there. I got to experience more authentic Chilote weather with rain and overcast skies, but it was still very enjoyable. One day Bekii and I took a stroll down the beach as far as we could go and stopped to chat on some rocks jutting into the water. We were there for quite some time and noticed the sky starting to turn from blue to gray. Just as Bekii turned to suggest returning home we felt the raindrops. We tried running at one point back to the beach entrance, but it was difficult, so we stopped under some trees. Just then Travis called and informed us he was laughing, then he offered to pick us up in the truck at the beach entrance. We didn't get too wet and dried off pretty quickly, thankfully and thanks to the ride from Travis. =) Even if we had gotten drenched, the time we got to spend together by the water talking about life would have been worth it!
I enjoyed meeting their friends and neighbors, taking a boat ride to see penguins, playing Ticket to Ride over and over again, and going to a chochoca festival (potato and flour roasted on a big spit then served with pulled pork inside...delish!)
One of the best experiences was seeing how God is moving in the lives of the kids in the community. Travis and Bekii and another lady in the community run a kids club on Saturday mornings. They used to have just a handful of kids, now there are almost 20! They are coming each week and hearing that no matter what anyone tells them, God loves them. I almost got emotional in the little community center listening to the kids recite their memory verse about obeying their parents complete with motions.
I loved seeing how God is working in Chile, just as he is working all over the world. Thanks Bekii and Travis for opening your home to me and giving me a glimpse into your lives. I hope to come back again some day soon!
-Kait
No comments:
Post a Comment