Saturday, October 31, 2009

Birthdays and Scooter Adventures


This week culminated a month of birthday celebration festivities for my 23rd birthday. I was unsure how it was going to be with having a birthday 10 days after arriving in a new country halfway around the world. I was pleasantly surprised when my roommates remembered it was my birthday and asked about a celebration. I would have been perfectly satisfied with that, but when the important day finally came, my co-operating teacher, Amanda threw a surprise party for me at school with our class. She baked me a cake and the students sang happy birthday to me in English, Chinese and Korean. Being a language person, this was extremely exciting to me.



That night, Catie and Bethany took me out to dinner at one of their favorite restaurants they fondly refer to as the Green Chair - because of its green chairs. We ended the evening with a manicure at a place just down the street. It was one of the best birthdays ever! The next evening some of my new friends came over for brownies and a movie. It was like a normal birthday - definitely made me feel special. Thanks girls for everything you've done for me!


One of the main modes of transportation around here are scooters. Many of the teachers here have them. My roommates each have one and I've gotten to ride on the back multiple times. Last weekend while composing my previous blog, I got the brilliant idea, maybe I could get one too! Well friends, after talking with someone at school who pulled a few strings, I am borrowing a scooter from someone on staff that doesn't use theirs much. The first night after obtaining the keys took some getting used to but I was pleased to be able to ride the scooter home the next day with no problem - AND it was on my birthday! I wish scootering was more popular in the States, it's a lot of fun. However, should I move back to Philadelphia, a scooter may be a little too dangerous!

Well, that's all for now. I'm getting excited for dinner in the night market again tonight!

-kaitlin

4 comments:

Christine said...

you look like such a teacher! love the scarf! i wear them almost every day :)

sounds like your birthday was great!

ps. scooters are popular in bellingham, so you should definitely come here :)

james said...

Yea for a happy birthday! it sounds like it was a lot of fun. As far as scooters go i know someone who live in Philadephia and she scooters all around.
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Kaitlin,

Enjoying your news! Sounds like you are having a blast! Just want you to know I was thinking of you on your birthday and glad you had a great day. Take care and we'll miss you at Thanksgiving this year!

See you soon!!
Love, Aunt Denise

Unknown said...

Hi K,
I have two scooters and really like to ride them. One is a two seater. I got my motorcycle license but it looks like we may stick with scooters for now! Have fun and be safe. You can ride mine when you visit here.
Love,
Aunt Mary